Another thread in John is water. As I trace this out, we find that water, spirit, eternal life, belief are intertwined.
- The Baptism of John (ch 1) by water is lesser than the baptism of the one to come.
- The baptism of Jesus (ch 1, 3) – “he will baptize with the spirit”
- Wedding at Cana – Water turned to wine (ch 2, refereed to in ch 4)
- Nicodemus – Jesus spoke of being “born of water and the spirit.” Is this a contrast of natural and spiritual?
- John’s vs Jesus’ baptism (Ch. 3)
- Samaritan woman – Jesus has “living water” which is greater than the water of Jacob’s well.
- 1st Sign (water to wine) mentioned at 2nd Sign (healing) (4:46)
- Sheep Gate – water of healing is compared to Jesus healing by command(ch 5)
- Jesus walking on water (Ch 6)
- At festival, Jesus promises “rivers of living water” which is defined as the Spirit (ch 8)
Generally material water is superseded in various ways by Jesus’ “water” which is his work and the work of the Spirit.