I will be leading a memorial service for a woman who used to dress up to watch her church’s worship service on TV. When i asked about favorite scriptures the answer was, “She loved Psalm 23. Everyone does!”
- What is it about Psalm 23?
- It is simple – only 117 words in the NKJV.
- It is personal – notice all the 1st person pronouns.
- It covers hard situations – the shadow of death.
- It is present and eternal – v. 6.
- It means that the Lord will never let us slip out of his hands.
The Lord is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
3 He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord