The thing I notice is the reciprocity of these verses.
- Do not Judge or you will be judged
- with the judgments you use
- with the measures you use
- Do not remove the speck in your neighbors eye
- without first dealing with your own
- Do not give treasure to beasts
- Or they will turn on you
- Ask, Seek and Knock and you will receive, find and enter
- if we the unjust love our children
- how much more will God love us
- Do to others what you would have them do to you
- this applies to everything
- this fulfills the law and the prophets (see 5:17)
Judging in the sense of condemning is prohibited (maybe because that implies we are on safe ground)
But judging ourselves first, allows us to help others (we are on the same ground)
Some who are in error are correctable (speck/log in eye).
Some who are in error are not (dogs/pigs).
When we love, we imperfectly show what God can do better than we can.
The Golden Rule is reciprocal – do what you want done to you.
So the thing you can’t do is hear this and hope that others get their act together. (the ones you judge, the ones with specks, the dogs and the pigs and the parents with screaming kids in the grocery store)