I am trying to think about Matthew 13:1-23 with a fresh read perspective – that is to try to read it for what it syas, not for what people say it says.
So here are a few questions.
- What exactly is the seed?
- Is what Jesus has been teaching and preaching?
- Is it the “deposit” mentioned in the NT letters?
- Can the seed/message be tweaked or changed for the soil/audience
- That seems to happen in the sermons in Acts.
- What exactly is the act of sowing?
- Is there any strategy to sowing?
- It looks to be non strategic in the parable – the farmer sows everywhere.
- What exactly are the soils?
- Kinds of people by sociological category?
- or by Spiritual openness?
- What is the secret?
- Why don’t some see/hear/believe when others do?
- Are there more actions than sowing and receiving?
- Does the soil have a choice in its condition?
There seems to be a structure
A – Parable of Sower v. 1-9
B – Why Parables? v. 10
B’ – Why Parables. v. 11-17
A’ – Parable of Sower. v. 18-23