Download the handouts here – CROUTONS.book – Croutons week 1 – Croutons week 3
Posts 1 – 31 can be found by clicking “croutons” in the word cloud on the right column of the home page.
Romans 12:9-21 NIV
9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.
14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.
17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone.18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord. 20 On the contrary:
“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”
21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
Croutons? Think of the text above as a loaf of bread. If you cut it into slices you are thinking too big. What we will do is divide this passage into small pieces, like croutons on a salad. These are daily croutons of the word.
- Read just the portion listed for that day. Go somewhere where you can say it out loud a few times.
- Think about each word in turn, for example, on day 1, “Love” what is it? “Must” – this is not a suggestion. “Be” as opposed to pretending. “Sincere” means real and not mere outward correctness.
- Ask yourself some questions: Who can I love? With whom is my love not sincere?
- Pray from the words, “Lord, forgive me for falling short. Give me a more sincere love, especially for ____________ who is so annoying…..”
- Be silent and see if the Spirit of God brings something to your mind as you think about the words.
- Make notes to remember what you heard from the Lord.