We arrived on Good Friday, April 1, 1994 to take up the position of Pastor at Bethany Evangelical Free Church. Today marks 20 years in the same place.
- the 20 years have been different – no two repeated.
- We talked about looking more like the neighborhood, so we are now multicultural (with four language groups partnering at this location) but we have not really see that many from the Isthmus community make a connection here.
- I once said that I thought the church could grow in this location to about 200. That is roughly the number of active participants of the three congregations here now (Bethany English and Lao Fellowship, Nueva Vida and Greater Madison Chinese EFC)
- There have been major trends passing by in the ministry world: “seeker driven” was in its heyday, now “missional” is. We are a bit ahead of the curve with ‘chaos theory ministry.”
- Oh yes, the internet was kind of showing up to the non-geek crowd – I remember the hubbub over Windows 95.
- I take a much more literary approach to Biblical study than I did – and will not be going back.
About 8 years ago I started this blog. The name came to me in the shower. I hoped to keep the Jesus Junk and in-house churchy talk to a minimum and provide a place where people who are curious about the bible will want to explore. It has turned out to also keep on conversations with folks I have known over the years. Many of my posts are test runs for sermon or class ideas.
- The NIV changed to the New NIV. I use it but I don’t like it much.
- The ESV is a nice study text, but I am not in love with it either.
- The ESV Literary Bible is great, except for sepia toned small print – what were they thinking?
- Something like 55,000 people have visited the site, but more see it through Facebook. That is about 10 times the size of the town I grew up in. But maybe Port Orchard made multiple visits.
- Adding pictures doubles the readership of a blog
- The most read post is still “A visit to the ant hill” based on Proverbs 6:6.
As far as I know I will continue with Bethany and Fresh Read…but that is up to the Boss.